- 8 medium sized potatoes peeled, sliced
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin)
- 1 chunk ginger, minced
- 1 green chili, chopped (de seeded – optional)
- 1 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 600ml Single Cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- Handful of cheese, grated
- Boil the potato slices in lightly salted water for about 8 minutes till cooked but firm. Careful not to over-cook or you will have Gauranga Mash potato! Preheat oven.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and when hot, add jeera, ginger and then green chili. Saute quickly and add turmeric and black pepper and stir briefly.
- Add the single cream, salt and water. Stir into a smooth and even golden sauce and remove from the heat.
- Off the heat, add the potatoes to a baking tray or casserole dish and pour the sauce over potatoes and gently combine. Top with a layer of cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Place in the top portion of preheated oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve hot.
- For a less Indian taste, instead of ginger, chilli and Jeera, use fresh herbs such as parsley or thyme.
- Alternative to single cream, use sour cream.
- Cheese is optional
- Try other vegetables, eg. Cauliflower. Peas and carrots.